Friday, October 19, 2012

Jaime + Jess's Transcontinental Skipping Sweater Knit-a-long!

Jess moved to LA back in April. When she called us to order some Road to China Light yarn for a new sweater that I too had my eye on making, I told her we could have a transcontinental knit-a-long! The sweater pattern is the Cap Sleeve Lattice Top from Purlbee. The pattern is available online for free and suggests Madelinetosh dk, but Jess and I were excited to try out our new yarn from Fibre Co. so we both used Road to China Light for ours. You probably know that I am a fan of "rustic" wool yarns so knitting with Road to China Light was like making magic out of air. This sport-weight yarn is a luscious blend of alpaca, silk, cashmere and camel. Holy Smokes! That's a lot of really soft animals to lend their fiber to my sweater!

Practicing my "eye-popping"
I had some gauge issues with this one. Road to China Light has much more drape than the yarn Purlbee called for, so I had to adjust my size a bit to make the top work. The pattern has you knit the sweater in one long rectangle that you then seam on the sides. Jess and I both choose to knit ours in the round, which only required a tiny bit of re-working. This allowed me to try my sweater on as I went to make sure it would fit with my gauge and the stretch of the yarn. I choose colors almost identical to the ones the pattern is done in - Riverstone and Grey Pearl in Road to China Light.


It turned out great. I love the look of this sweater - it is a flattering fit and interesting with the lattice top. Oh, also, it was soo easy! Advanced beginners could easily make this top and it hardly took me any time at all! Love it. It is the softest thing I have ever worn, so you might consider making one if you like to wrap your body in clouds.


Jess's sweater is also a smashing success! She choose the colors Jade and Malachite. It looks amazing and fits her great! It was so awesome that she was able to visit this weekend so our sweaters could meet in person.


Like a perfect picture...


and now we skip!

Transcontinental KAL's are the best!!


aw...friends in sweaters.

5 comments:

Allie said...

Aw, Jaime this is awesome. Lovely sweaters!!

Allie of meadow-rue.com

Kendra said...

Wow, amazing!

Jeanne Lois said...

Transcontinental knit-a-longs are the best!! Lets do them always! They came out so sweet =0

machen und tun said...

what a great post! love your foto-session there :-)

alexandra snyder said...

SO glad to have found this post! I am currently knitting this sweater and am concerned about the lattice top falling in the middle of my chest instead of above my bra line. Yours looks like it fits great! Did you adjust the measurements to make the lattice top smaller?