Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Better Know A Crafter: Brian Ball

Can you even believe how awesome Brian is with his little monocled, mustachioed octopus friend? Brian has been a friend for years and we've loved watched his crafting skills get better and better. We can't wait to see what fashionably outfitted creatures he creates next. We hope that he writes us a book of patterns someday!

Brian Ball


1) What makes you want to be crafty?
I've always loved plush toys and started making them myself a few years ago. My first original designs were monster and zombie head pillows. I decided I like making crocheted amigurumi better, which is what I'm focusing on now. I enjoy coming up with sketches of new characters and watching them come to life as I develop the patterns.

2) Tell us about your octopus friend.
This is Reginald Octavius Scuttleby. He is my first original amigurumi design. The first few I made didn't have a suit and the monocle was originally crocheted. I now use a flat round bead, jewelry wire and a chain to make it look nicer. The other materials are yarn, felt, a safety eye, polyfill stuffing and small nails for the jacket buttons.


3) How did you learn your crochet skills?
My cousin showed me how to crochet a scarf years ago but I forgot how and had to re-learn on my own. After making a few hats I got the hang of working in rounds and was able to try my hand at amigurumi. I picked up pretty much everything I know from books and online tutorials.

4) What is your favorite animal?
I like bats, owls and octopuses...octopi...octopodes...whatever.

Thanks Brian! Happy crocheting!

2 comments:

Pink said...

Squeeeeeee! So cute!

Gina said...

I love him! I do amigurumi, too, but nothing quite so stylish.