Friday, July 16, 2010

Summertime Mendocino Madness

With the heat of summer upon us Jaime and I each decided to make ourselves a Mendocino dress. This free pattern by Heather Ross is such a perfectly cool garment for these blistering mid-summer days. The shirring used on the bodice is a sewing technique that's new to me. It is really easy and it's fun to see the elastic thread do it's magic!


We are offering this sweet dress as a class on our current schedule if you want to make one for yourself! It can be made any length--check out the picture on the class page to see a longer version of the Mendocino.

Jaime and I both used Anna Maria Horner's Little Folks cotton voile fabrics to make our dresses. I love how feathery light and soft the fabric is. Jaime chose a vibrant fuchsia stripe for hers.


I used Coloring Garden voile in Dusk. Walking in the park a gentleman squirrel couldn't resist befriending me. Perhaps he was enchanted by my pretty dress?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so freakin hot I'm tempted to make one for myself... however it would be socially unacceptable. Great job ladies!

-Eddie

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Alas, my machine can't handle shirring with elastic thread.

Fancy Tiger Crafts said...

You could always sign up for a Sewing Help Night at Fancy Tiger and use our machines!